Monday 7 May 2018

Just playing, - mixed media journal page

Hello friends, hope you were able to enjoy some fun time this weekend. Here in Scotland we had some glorious sunshine and I spent most of the weekend outside. But on Friday I had great fun playing in my journal, and here is the result:
I decided to try out some of my new stash and as I was too much involved in the process, I forgot to take any step out photos, but will talk you briefly through what I did.
I started by gathering various collage papers, paper serviettes, torn book pages and some scraps of the ideaology worn wall papers. I added them to my pages with fluid matte medium and then added some journalling using a biro with the plan to just have it there as a layer and cover it mostly with gesso, jsy peeping through here and there... BIG MISTAKE!! No matter how many coats of gesso and paint I threw at it, it kept coming through. So in the end I had to add more papers and some of the new Seth Apter baked textures, the Vintage Beeswax one, stamping into it while still hot.
I stamped into it while it was still hot and also added further background stamping, using Seth Apter and AAL &Create stamps.

I added some of Tim's new Washi tape from the Remnants set, which matches the worn wall paper scraps I chose in colour rather well, and added further patches of colour using Paper Artsy paints and Distress Crayon, as well as some dark brown Gelato arround the edges.
The spread was becoming rather busy so I added a paper doll with some butterfly wings to act as a focal point and draw in the eye a bit.
And finished with a couple of sentiments, one stamped in black and the other white embossed on black card, both from the AAL&C stamp set and some splatters finished it all off.

Well that's it for today. Thanks so much for your visit and I hope you'll get some fun playtime this week.
Have a good one!
xxxxx


19 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

Oh my gosh - I am in awe of this fantastic spread Astrid! Simply GORGEOUS! I think a pencil is maybe better for a little layer of interest than a biro. Thank you for mention of your experience with it!
Happy and creative new week!
Hugs, Susi

Dorthe said...

Dear Astrid, so many things going on here, in your gorgeous background. I love the beautiful layers, and Seths Beeswax embossing, with stamps in. Also the vintage wallpaper adds so lovely to a romantic feeling, and so does your butterfly girl.
A wonderful spread.
Hugs,Dorthe

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful pages Astrid. Great weather here, too! Hugs, Valerie

Amanda Jones said...

Lovely spread! Let's hope the weather doesn't go back to being wet and cold!

Seth said...

Gorgeous Astrid. The layers are phenomenal and there are so many beautiful details to see. I am really pulled into the surface.

Meggymay said...

Fabulous layers, there may have been an accident with the biro but you cannot tell the journal spread looks fantastic.
Lets hope the good weather lasts for us all.
Yvonne xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

How fun to have a play day in your journal...and what gorgeous results. I love the layers, and flowers peaking through. FUN!

My name is Erika. said...

That's a beautiful background with all that layering Astrid. I haven't tried any of the new Seth APter textures, but they sound like fun. Did you like them? Well the end result is a gorgeous page. Hope you are enjoying the new week. Hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

What yummy background and texture on your journal page. And that paper doll with the wings is the perfect finishing touch. Beautiful, Astrid!
Kate

Helen Wallace said...

Just gorgeous Astrid. I adore those Paper Dolls and love to create with them. It was interesting to read of your experience with the biro! A trap for unwary players like me to avoid. But you saved it and created something eye-catching and inspiring.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Your background was meant to be Astrid it obviously did not want to be hidden and it looks fab peeping through. The Paper Doll really is the perfect focal and draws the eye just enough not to take all the glory from your masterwork behind.
Hope the sun is still shining for you up there, i've been making the most of it down here.
Creative Hugs Tracey xx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! This is amazing Astrid!! Gorgeous colour and so many amazing layers. It's good to know that even master MM artists like yourself can also make mistakes! Makes us humble amateurs feel better about our own .. LOL!! I love the colour mix and the paper doll is a fabulous focal image! Love this!! hugs x

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful pages and I loved following along to learn about all the different techniques and mediums you used to create it too! The weather has been glorious, hasn't it 😁. I've been spending time in the garden too and there still seems to be so much to do ...lol 😉. Wishing you a happy and creative week! J 😊 x

Sophie said...

Very beautiful!!!!!

Redanne said...

Your page is gorgeous Astrid, so much wonderful texture, I love the stamping into the embossing powder. This is one of those projects that would be lovely to touch! Our weather has turned cooler and wet, sadly, but the warmth was lovely while it lasted! Hugs, Anne xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Astrid, wonderful textural piece. I love the detail of the backdrop which showcases the focal image beautifully. Tracy ❤️

Words and Pictures said...

It's clear you've been having lots of fun with your new goodies - this page spread is so full of texture and ideas and inspiration. Love the stamping into the beeswax, and the grungy layered stamping and splatter. The warm colour tones are really pretty too. Glad to hear you've been enjoying the sunshine... even in Scotland!!
Alison xx

Julia Aston said...

Such beautiful layering of papers and paints Astrid! and I just love your little butterfly girl! Julia xx

Jackie PN said...

Oh Astrid! I absolutely love your playtime pages! Everything I love is in there, color, textures, stamping, bits and bobs and yummy embossing! Well done on adding the focal points, although I could have looked all day at just what was underneath! ")
Welcome home and thank you for your lovely words dear friend!
Jackie xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key